Wheels

Truck, Ford Model TT Delivery Truck

Henry Ford started producing his famous Model T automobiles in 1908, but it wasn’t until 1917 that his company started producing one-ton trucks on a commercial basis. These trucks were based on the diminutive Model T, but had a longer and heavier frame and rear axle.

Truck, Kenworth Off-highway #28

The closure of Pacific Lumber Company's Yager Creek Camp in March 2002 brought an end to the camp where decades of logging legends were created.

Truck, Kenworth Off-highway #11

Some of the acquisitions are the result of years of negotiation and follow-up, as was the case with the Off-highway Log Truck.

Tractor, Fordson Industrial "Lumber Jimmy"

In December of 1997, Morton Friedman of Sacramento donated a Fordson industrial tractor "Lumber Jimmy" to Roots of Motive Power. The tractor differed from the standard farm tractor in that it utilized hard rubber tires, weighted wheels and had a PTO winch on the front.

Tractor, Daniel Best Steam

Daniel Best's Steam Tractor #185, now in the Roots of Motive Power Collection, rolled off the assembly line in 1903. The tractor stands 17' 4" to the top of the stack, is 28' long, and 9' 7" wide, weighing 18 tons 800 lbs. with full boiler and tank.

Lumber Carrier, Ross Straddle Carrier

In 1913, Harry B. Ross built the first straddle truck at the Stetson-Ross Machine Works in Seattle, Washington. Mr. Ross’ invention revolutionized the movement of lumber around mill yards, and would be replicated in later years by Gerlinger, Hyster, Yale, Caterpillar and a host of others.

Logging Arch, Hyster Rubber Wheeled

Dan and Tracy Vincent of Willits recently donated a Hyster rubber tired logging arch to the Roots collection. Our first Hyster arch joins several other Pacific Car and Foundry (CARCO) arches in the collection.

Logging Arch, Weed Lumber Co

Further research needs to be done on this artifact.

Logging Arch, Redding Big Wheels

Prior to the 1870's, logging was performed by the grueling process of dragging logs from the woods with bull teams.

Logging Arch, Big River Wheels

Mendocino Lumber Company, at the mouth of the Big River, had a reputation for its willingness to try new technology, such as using early track-type Holt 75 tractors for skidding logs in the late teens or using International trucks to haul redwood logs in the late 1930s.

Loader, McVey C/N 3

The McVey Loader C/N 3 was built in 1936 by the McVey Machine Shop in Klamath Falls, Oregon. The dream of a mobile loading machine kept many an early logger awake at night. In 1929 Myron McVey and O. V.

Grader, Caterpillar #11

This grader, serial number 6K395 SP, has the older three-cylinder diesel engine with side-mounted two-cylinder gas starting engine. It was donated to Roots by Mr. Mike Ross of Fort Bragg on 4-19-02.

Engine, Port Huron Portable Steam #6127

Portable steam power units adapted to a variety of work on America's farms, factories, and sawmills, replacing animal power and water power as the prime movers. The steam engine was bolted directly to the top of the boiler shell.

Crane, Ernest Holmes Truck Crane

The railroad truck-mounted crane was first mentioned as being inoperable, and therefore surplus, to the North Coast Railroad Authority (NCRA) in the fall of 2002 during a conversation between Chris Baldo of Roots and John Darling (the railroad operator).

Crane, "Cherry Picker", W600, S/N 128

Ron McGehee recently donated to the Roots collection a crane, affectionately called the Cherry Picker, which had been an integral part of his father's business - Ukiah Machine and Welding.

Crane, Super C Tournacrane

The genius of R.G. LeTourneau's over 200 patents elevates his status to a select list of American inventors.

Automobile, Ford Model T Constables Car

This Model T Ford Coupe was at one time used right here in Willits by the local constable. The position of constable was originated in England in the mid-19th century. In California, the constable was an official appointed by (and worked for) the court system.

Baggage Cart, Southern Pacific Railroad

Baggage carts were one of the utilitarian devices used by almost all railroads to move goods and luggage around their depots. They received little more attention than the broom in the corner, but without them, the expediency of railroad freight service would have been severely compromised.

Baggage Cart, Northwestern Pacific Railroad

An original NWP baggage cart, used for many years in railroad service, has been acquired by Roots and is on display in the Engine House of the Mendocino County Museum.

Subscribe to Wheels